New Poll Shows 69% of Americans Want to End Logging on Public Lands

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Sun Oct 4 12:53:57 EST 1998

In article <19981003215604.01295.00004739 at ng79.aol.com>,
  kmorrisd at aol.com (KMorrisD) wrote:

> dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure I understand this question Karl. I don't know of any hardwood
> >species which are susceptible to Fomes annotosum: it appears to be specific
> >conifers.
>
> Daniel,
>
> I was referring to species of hardwoods being planted.  The reason for my
> curiosity on this subject is a recent walk in the woods with a new client who's
> originally from France.  We were looking at a stand that had been periodically
> high-graded since pasture abandonment a hundred years ago.

It would help to know what species were growing. <g>

  Not much worth
> growing.  So, knowing he likes fine cuisine, I said something about we could
> always convert it to oak and chestnut and grow truffles. <G>  I had read
> somewhere that truffles grow on oak and chestnut root systems in Europe.

OK. I see now. BTW, chestnut in France is considered a form of oak. But I
don't think it is the same species as is typically found in the US. Also, the
species of truffle being discussed is Tuber melanosporum. For more
information on this species and the chestnut it is cultivated with, see The
Black Truffle by Ian Hall.

> Well, that got him going.  I learned about the dogs that can sniff them out,
> and the hogs with rings in their noses, and then about all the dishes you can
> make with them, and how everyone in France loves to go truffling.  Also about
> how the markets for truffles and other fungi in New York City are growing like
> crazy.  I guess it's all those yuppie French wannabes in NYC. <G>
>
> We don't have American chestnut anymore in MA, at least not big trees.  Lots of
> saplings in some areas which sprout from root systems, get infected, die,
> resprout and so on.  They're usually found in hardwood stands that are
> predominantly oak.  There are blight-resistant Chinese-European hybrid
> chestnuts that could be planted--or even crown grafted to American chesnut root
> systems (the blight doesn't attack root systems).  Food for thought, anyways.

Chestnut blight seems to attack trees in fairly level ground with good soil.
Plant the chestnut in steep, rocky soil that is well drained, and the tree
does considerably better.

Another point: Chinese chestnut is also called the shiia tree, from whence
comes the term shiitake, or mushrooms of the shiia tree. This may be
important because wood 3-8 inches in diameter without side branches, and
22-42 inches long are good for growing another kind of mushroom.

I worry about the blight-resistant hybrids you mention: many of these have
little or no food value to humans. Many have such a high tannic-acid content
they cannot even be used for mast.

Perhaps most importantly, the soil pH must be between 7.5-8.0 to have T.
melanosporum fruit. If this means adding a lot of limestone and marble, the
costs escalate quickly. Coincidentally, chestnut typically doesn't do well in
such high pH.

Finally, the latitute of Maine is considerably further north than the typicaly
range for T. melanosporum in Europe, which may be one reason why Franklin
Garland was able to grow it in North Carolina. I would strongly recommend
reading Garland's book before I went further with this project.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com