Dear Forester Staples

Enviro Flyhigh enviro at flyhigh.com
Sun Oct 4 23:52:00 EST 1998

Hey MR FORESTER,  whats the story?

?          FORESTRY VERSES GYPSY MOTH Salvage logging

First let me define a forest.  A forest is a system,  where
trees and their associates are so highly ordered in their
connections that they all survive at a high quality state.
Now I would like to define soil.  Soil is a substance made
up of sands, silts, clays, decaying organic matter, air,
water and an enormous number of living organisms.

Four things that still plague us.  That is, Wood is dead,
Soil is dead, the never-ending forest and nurse logs cause
disease.  I think they belong with the flat earth society.

However I believe forestry has beat gypsy moths by a
long shot.  Let me explain.  There is more to a forest
than just a living tree.  The cycle of a tree continues after
death for another turn.  It will actually return more than
it borrowed to the soil, and carbon.  Nurse logs from
dead trees are just as important as the living tree for the
HEALTH of the SYSTEM I call a forest.  They are
FOOD for the living soil.  Soil is very important and will
be in the news more very soon.  Soil depletion is now
recognized as a major problem world wide.  Let me bring
you back to the gypsy moth.  The gypsy moths killed
some of the living trees that were in predisposition to
receive by eating the leaves.  Of course I am sure they
did add something back to the system (organic).  Very
different from forestry which looks at our forest as a
place to harvest.  If we took count the timbering industry
& forestry practices such as road building are much
higher in number than trees killed by gypsy moths.
Those poor little gypsy moths did not have a chance.  A
very unfair match.  But nevertheless forestry called on
the arsenal of pesticides to combat these so-called forest
destroyers.  This guy was not to be competition for the
timber industry.  However, there is more to the story.

Now, who took more material away from the system that
would affect the systems health as a whole?  This is a
very good question and I am very happy my friend from
the EPA  asked me this question today.  Many people in
the urban areas are having problems with carbon depleted
soils.  They add more and more nitrogen with fewer
desirable results.  Why, the  carbon-nitrogen ratio.  The
only thing the gypsy moth took was the leaves.  They left
the big carbon and the soil unharmed.  However,
salvaging as they, called it, came in with big machines,
compacted soil, disrupted water patterns and wounded
other trees.  To say they caused trouble in the
rhizosphere would be like saying Martin Luther King had
a good cause.  Yes,  he did have a very good cause and
yes they disrupt the rhizosphere with those big machines.
So carbon & nurse logs out, soil disruption and severe
wounding to existing trees are more than gypsy moths
can be held accountable for.  Well lets look for ourselves
and see.

Trees killed by forestry exceed gypsy moths.  Gypsy
moths do not ride in big machines with lots of noise and
heat and fumes.  Gypsy moths do not remove nurse logs.
Gypsy moths do not change water patterns.  Gypsy
moths do not compact LIVING SOIL.  Gypsy moths do
not add synthetic fertilizers and pesticides to the forest
system that effect the other associates.  Gypsy moths do
not rob the soil of needed carbon.  Gypsy moths do not
contaminate water.  Gypsy moths do not build roads and
plant grass in the forest.  Gypsy moths do not destroy
native habitat for wild life such as the fishers.  As a
matter of fact the Gypsy moths left the wood to give the
soil a good shot of carbon.  But the forest service says
“don’t worry” we will apply herbicides and ammonium
nitrate (a water contaminator) from helicopters.

WOW,  and they use pesticides for gypsy moth.  Boy
what will they use for the foresters?  Who deplete the
soil.

Its time for people to come together and support the
National Forest Protection and Restoration Act
(NFPRA).