Truffles and fungi fd 10/3/98

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 5 12:01:24 EST 1998

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> On a trip to Oregon's newly wet coast today, found the following fungi:
>
> Alpova diplophloeus
> Dentinum umbillicatum
> Russula brevipes
> Hypomyces lactifluorum
> Rhizopogon occidentalis
> Scleroderma laeve
> Scleroderma aureolatum (sp?)
> Hygrophoropsis aurantiacum
> Fomes annotosum
> Ganoderma tsugae
>
> Brought home all the Rhizopogon I could find along with the Scleroderma for
> future inoculant. While they were both found with Lodgepole pine, cypress and
> willow were also very close by in sandy soil (nearly pure sand dune). No
> matsutake or Boletus edulis out yet, but looking forward to some soon.

Seems as though the UK fungi are ahead of Oregon this year. I can't list
what I found this
weekend, there must have been fourtyish species. Edibles in my
refrigerator recently include:
 Boletus Edulis
 Xerocomus Badius
 Lepiota Rhacodes
 Agaricus Campestris
 Russula Heterophylla
 Lactarius Deliciosus

Have also had some nice Giant Puffball (Langermannia Gigantea), enjoyed
by some friends
as well. Pity you don't get that.

Edwin Hutton