Dear Forester Staples

P. Adams localhost at 127.0.0.1
Mon Oct 5 10:03:28 EST 1998

Wow. It sounds like you passed your freshman biology course with flying
colors.  I wonder if this is that John Keslick fellow -- it sure sounds
like it, no?

Enviro Flyhigh <enviro at flyhigh.com> slapped a small monkey, then
proclaimed:

>My name is John and I am doing a survey on the information foresters may
>have and how much they understand trees.  The test is not about you its
>about what people are taught about trees to become a forester.  Please
A FOREST is a system,  where trees and their associates are so highly
ordered in their connections that they all survive at a high quality state.
Blah Blah Blah
>do not be offended. I was hoping you would help me out by answering
>these questions as simply as you can.  Thanks,  and if you need the
>answers let me know.
>
>Questions
>
>1. What is a tree?
That depends on the what the definition of IS is.  -- Bill Clinton

>2. Why are trees like big batteries?
>
>3. Animals are regenerating and trees are generating systems.
>
>What does this mean?
>
>4. What parts do trees shed?
>
>5. What do boundaries that form after wounding do?
>
>6. What are reaction zones and barrier zones?
>
>7. What usually determines the diameter of a trunk hollow?
>
>8. Define compartmentalization.
>
>9. What is CODIT?
>
>10. What do the 4 walls in CODIT do?
>
>11. What happens at the base of dying branches?
>
>12. Why are stubs harmful?
>
>13. What are branch and trunk collars?
>
>14. What is the branch bark ridge?
>
>15. Why are flush cuts so harmful?
>
>16. Contrast callus and woundwood.
>
>17. How do most deep internal cracks start?
>
>18. What is wood?
>
>19. What is xylem?
>
>20. What are parenchyma cells?
>
>21. What are the symplast and apoplast?
>
>22. What do they do?
>
>23. What is heartwood? Protection wood?
>
>24. What are the major features of diffuse-porous wood?
>
>25. What are the major features of ring-porous wood?
>
>26. Name at least 5 each, ring and diffuse-porous trees.
>
>27. What are the major features of conifer wood?
>
>28. What is bark?
>
>29. What is phloem?
>
>30. What is the cortex?
>
>31. What is the cambial zone?
>
>32. What are meristems?
>
>33. How do trees grow?
>
>34. What are wood rays and phloem rays?
>
>35. Describe 4 major activities of woody roots.
>
>36. Name at least 3 differences between woody roots and stems.
>
>37. Describe non-woody roots.
>
>38. What are root hairs?
>
>39. What are mycorrhizae?
>
>40. What does chlorophyll in leaves do?
>
>41. What are buds?
>
>42. How does new growth start in spring?
>
>43. What are flowers?
>
>44. What are seeds? fruits?
>
>45. Contrast monocots and dicots.
>
>46. Give some unique features of tropical trees.
>
>47. What are the unique features of palms?
>
>48. Give at least 10 benefits trees get from their associates.
>
>49. What is soil?
>
>50. Contrast photosynthesis and respiration.
>
>51. What are the 5 major ways trees use energy?
>
>52. What are the major elements for life?
>
>53. What are fertilizers?
>
>54. What are the 3 basic ways organisms die?
>
>55. What is decay?
>
>56. What are forests?
>
>If you have trouble with any of the questions, maybe
>you need to see TREE BASICS!
>
>john

Paul and Cassie Adams     a_d_a_m_s_p_ at _a_t_h_e_n_s_ ._n_e_t
Have a wonderful Monday!  Please consider this:

People who like this sort of thing will find
this is the sort of thing they like.
                           - Abraham Lincoln