ACF Weekly Update

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Oct 6 14:15:44 EST 1998

Don Staples wrote:

> ACF PRESIDENT APPEARS BEFORE SAF GENERAL ASSEMBLY
>
> William Humphries, commenting on Sustainable Forestry issues, appeared
> on a panel of foresters during the Society of American Foresters
> National Convention in Traverse City, Michigan, September 21.
> Humphries commented on the need to ensure lanowners rights in forest
> management and the need to let the free market work to ensure
> landowners interest in management.  Copies of Humphries statement are
> available from the national office.

Not on the net? Oh, just another out of touch politician who doesn't
realize everything should be on the net.

> In addition to the presentation made by Humphries, the ACF also held a
> special meeting for consulting foresters.  This was an opportunity for
> individuals not currently associated with the ACF to learn more about
> the organization.  The ACF also had an exhibit at the meeting which
> provided general information about the Association and membership.

And I venture to bet that the ACF exhibit didn't dare get into the
politics of forestry; heck no; don't wanna go rock no boats, no how;
unless it were right wing politics- criticize enviros (see below) but
don't DARE criticize the establishment; who might have more weapons
against you than those long haired pinko enviros. <G>

> VIRGINIA CHAPTER ANNOUNCES BMP WORKSHOP
>
> The Virginia ACF Chapter is hosting a special Best Management Workshop
> for foresters who, upon completion, be qualified by the state to
> conduct BMP inspections on private lands following timber harvests.

Sounds like the work of service foresters. Duh... they won't LIKE this.
My burro is already terrified of losing his job as a result of all the
truth that Karl Davies and I have brought forth into the consciousness
of Mass. foresters. Not that they didn't' already know the stuff; they
were and are in denial. <G>

> This workshop is a cooperative effort between the Chapter and the
> Division of Forestry which has not always enjoyed positive relations.

Heck, I wonder why? <G> The unterforesters sit down with their
uberforesters. Be sure to salute your superiors and overseers. Heil
Uberforester! (click heals)

> The workshop is scheduled for October 28 - 29, 1998, at the Philpott
> Management Center near Martinsville, VA.  Indivdiuals interest in the
> program may contact Michael Lewis, ACF, at (540)666-4514
>
> DROUGHT/DISASTER RELIEF $10 MILLION FOR FORESTRY INCENTIVES PROGRAM
> (F1P)
>
> Congress has included $10 million in immediate drought relief for
> non-industrial land owners who have suffered losses in the recent
> droughts/national disasters. The funding is provided through the
> Forestry Incentives Program to carry out the program of forestry
> incentives as currently authorized by the Cooperative Forestry
> Assistance Act of 1978. The $10 million is included as a provision in
> the emergency drought relief provisions of the FY 1999 Agriculture
> Appropriations Act.

While Congress is at it; why don't they just cough up another 10 million
for consultants- we need it more than those wealthy landowners. <G>

> The American Forest & Paper Association reported the news late last
> week.  Several states have reported suffering 50 to 100 percent
> mortality rate in recent tree plantings from the current drought in the
> South. The drought relief bill is expected to pass the House and Senate
> within the next few days.   It is unclear whether or not President
> Clinton will sign the bill.

He won't after he finds out that Don Staples has been bad mouthing him,
and he - a fellow southern Bubba. <G>

> ENVIRONMENTALIST KILLED WHILE PROTESTING ON PRIVATE LANDS
>
> David Chain, also known as Gypsy, age 24, of Austin, Texas was killed
> September 17,  when a felled tree struck him in the head near Grizzly
> Creek, about 280 miles north of San Francisco.
>
> Chain and other forest activists were protesting a logging operation
> occurring on private lands that are part of the now infamous Headwaters
> Forest in northern California.  The area being logged was just outside
> the Headwaters Deal area recently acquired by the state of California
> and the U.S. Government.
>
> A falling tree, cut by a logger, hit another tree which fell on Chain,
> causing severe head injuries. He died in a helicopter en route to the
> hospital.
>
> Earth First! and the Sierra Club, not surprisingly, claim that the
> logger who cut the tree should be charged with manslaughter for
> threatening members of Earth First! and cutting down a tree that killed
> an environmentalist.  Of course, these two organizations fail to
> mention the fact that the protesters were trespassing on private
> property at the time and were repeatedly warned to vacate the area
> because it was an active logging job and a very dangerous place to be.
> The protesters knew they were entering one of the most hazardous
> working environments on earth.

Don, are those your words or the ACF's words? If your words, fine - we
already know where you stand on this. But the ACF shouldn't be sounding
political about this because a lot of foresters in this country aren't
going to agree with that statement, politically speaking. It's an
interpretation of the events and there is another side to the story.

> In actuality this was a tragic accident.  Rather than blame the logger
> for Chain's death, it is Earth First! and the Sierra Club that should
> be blamed.  These organizations are fully aware of the fact that
> logging operations are no place to play around in, yet they encourage
> their  young impressionable followers into harms way.  Now the
> ultimate sacrifice has been made, and an unnecessary martyr exists for
> these groups to draw more attention to their actions.

That's right, don't blame the idiot loggers who were too stupid to call
the cops; blame some enviro groups; yuh, right, Don. This right wing,
redneck point of view is NOT the opinion of most people in this country
and probably not most foresters; so the ACF should keep it's trap shut
on the politics of the situation. The main reason forestry is not a
glowing success in America is because it's too dam backwards, in it's
reactionary thinking; and everybody but the forestry community knows it.
It's such reactionary thinking that causes my brain dead state to lock
me and Karl out of it's email servers; they are so terrified of what we
have to say. But when we find out who did it, that clown will be looking
for a new job.

> PFIT COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT UPDATE
>
> This week members and others began receiving brochures describing two
> upcoming PFIT courses to be offered in December.
>
> Inadvertently, the PFIT's brochure announcing the Successful Ownership
> Transition Course did not include the location of the course.  This two
> day seminar will be held in Charlotte, North Carolina at the Sheraton
> Airport Plaza Hotel.  This is the same location and same time as the
> Managing Your Business Course.
>
> If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the
> National Office.
> --
> Don Staples
> UIN 4653335
>
> Web Offerings:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/

Don's foolish critique of Clinton built into his signature deleted. <G>

--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister,
author of the famous "Z-letter"