Loggers Kill Earth First! Activist

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Oct 7 07:48:07 EST 1998

Hydratwo wrote:
> >Loggers Kill Earth First! Activist
> >From: Langrrr at aol.com
> >How so?  By cutting down trees?  Then how come there is more forest land in
> >the United States now than at any other time?

NOT TRUE, that sounds like a Limbaughism. <G>

> Is this the quality of forest that it was at one point in time? Heard this on
> Limbaughs show, although he points out that there IS more forest than 100 years
> ago, where the hell is it? Just in my small town in Pennsylvania, used to have
> access to forest all the time within minutes, now development and private
> property make access for my kids almost impossible near here.  There are many
> high quality forests in PA that our Gov Ridge has not screwed up yet.
> One point (see www.21commission.gov, I think), is that there is a plan to
> export cherry from state lands to Ireland (amoung other foreign areas). The
> replanting may not result in the high quality which existed before the planned
> clear cutting. So consider that the area of forest in comparison to 100 years
> ago should at least describe what was and is there.

In the NE USE, planting is seldom needed or justified- forests will
reseed themselves. Some species like cherry need heavy cutting because
they are shade intolerant; so on a good cherry site, you need to have
clearcuts to get more cherry, which will seed in abundantly. But those
clearcuts can be quite small, as little as half an acre- which we
foresters would call a "patch clearcut" not to be confused with the
massive clearcuts out west.

Right now, cherry is at a premium price which is why everyone's talking
about it, and it's high because of the export market. And the cherry in
PA is some of the finest anywhere.

> http://members.aol.com/hydratwo

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister,
author of the famous "Z-letter"
"The first forestry web page in  Massachusetts."
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau
forestry newsgroups are found at bionet.agroforestry and alt.forestry,
the coolest places on the planet for forestry discussion, where the
"cutting edge foresters" hang out