ACF Weekly Update

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Oct 6 17:13:33 EST 1998

Don Staples wrote:

> > > ENVIRONMENTALIST KILLED WHILE PROTESTING ON PRIVATE LANDS
>
> cut for brevity
> >
> > Don, are those your words or the ACF's words? If your words, fine - we
> > already know where you stand on this. But the ACF shouldn't be sounding
> > political about this because a lot of foresters in this country aren't
> > going to agree with that statement, politically speaking. It's an
> > interpretation of the events and there is another side to the story.
>
> A lot of foresters in this country don't agree with you, should you keep
> silent?  We have seen the other side of the story, murder, homicide, and
> other judgement calls from afar, including the Vermont Chapter of the
> Sierra Club, right out there on the front lines in California.
>
> These words, as indicated in the post, were on the ACF Update.  It is my
> policy (for me alone) to not get political on bionet.agroforestry.
> Unless absolutely necessary.
>
> > > In actuality this was a tragic accident.  Rather than blame the logger
> > > for Chain's death, it is Earth First! and the Sierra Club that should
> > > be blamed.  These organizations are fully aware of the fact that
> > > logging operations are no place to play around in, yet they encourage
> > > their  young impressionable followers into harms way.  Now the
> > > ultimate sacrifice has been made, and an unnecessary martyr exists for
> > > these groups to draw more attention to their actions.
> >
> > That's right, don't blame the idiot loggers who were too stupid to call
> > the cops; blame some enviro groups; yuh, right, Don. This right wing,
> > redneck point of view is NOT the opinion of most people in this country
> > and probably not most foresters; so the ACF should keep it's trap shut
> > on the politics of the situation.
>
> As Spock would say: "fascinating" that you think the ACF shoud "keep
> it's trap shut" on a subject that no one else has, and that the ACF
> should not commentate on a political situation.  You, the oberstpolotik
> of the Massachusetts foresters.  Take a poll, see what the people of
> this country think, rather than what you think. For that matter, we have
> a number of foresters that speak on these two groups.  What do they say?

But I'm just spouting off my own opinions, not spouting off for a group,
which I wouldn't do. The ACF should be busy fighting for forestry
consultants, not getting caught up in this fight with EF!

> > The main reason forestry is not a
> > glowing success in America is because it's too dam backwards, in it's
> > reactionary thinking; and everybody but the forestry community knows it.
> > It's such reactionary thinking that causes my brain dead state to lock
> > me and Karl out of it's email servers; they are so terrified of what we
> > have to say. But when we find out who did it, that clown will be looking
> > for a new job.
>
> Again, as Spock: Fascinating that you are complaining about being locked
> out of the political side, and yet you would silence the ACF.

Don, there is a huge difference between what I say as an individual and
what a group says. The ACF has thousands of members. Do those statements
accurately reflect the opinions of all ACF members? Did it take a poll?
Did it ask the members if it should be spouting off about an issue that
is not the direct concern of the ACF? It's a distinction, like the
distinction that you don't see between Nixon and Clinton.

> > > PFIT COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT UPDATE
> > >
> > > This week members and others began receiving brochures describing two
> > > upcoming PFIT courses to be offered in December.
> > >
> > > Inadvertently, the PFIT's brochure announcing the Successful Ownership
> > > Transition Course did not include the location of the course.  This two
> > > day seminar will be held in Charlotte, North Carolina at the Sheraton
> > > Airport Plaza Hotel.  This is the same location and same time as the
> > > Managing Your Business Course.
> > >
> > > If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the
> > > National Office.
>
> Not Don Staples, but the National Office of the ACF.
>

> > Don's foolish critique of Clinton built into his signature deleted. <G>
>
> A quote from your hero, Joe, the last not so great liberal president.

No, he's not my hero. My heroes are people so brave as to live by their
principals. Read JFK's "Profiles in Courage" about brave Senators. I
also consider Ghandi, Martin Luther King, and of course Thoreau to be
heroes. Thoreau went to jail because he wouldn't pay the poll tax, as a
protest against our imperialistic invasion of Mexico. It took courage to
do that. And it took supreme courage for Martin Luther King to fight for
civil rights against the likes of the KKK.

But Clinton? No way. He's a wuss. He blew it. He had some good ideas,
but he forgot that you're supposed to think only with your brain. <G>

--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister,
author of the famous "Z-letter"