Planting Black Walnut?

Larry Caldwell larryc at
Thu Oct 8 15:01:36 EST 1998

In article <361CDC53.58B at>, acassian at says...

>   Now that the Black Walnut trees in my yard are sheding their fruit I
> am wondering if I can plant the whole seed or do they need to have the
> husk removed?Also,it would be prudent to know whether planting now or
> the spring is expected to produce more seedlings? FYI I hear the Ladies
> of old used the juice of the husk as a sort of North American Henna.
> -Adrian

I think black walnut has to freeze for the seeds to be viable.  You might
try putting the nuts in the freezer for a couple of weeks.

I have planted English walnut from seed.  When it sprouts it pries the
nut in half.  I imagine black walnut is the same.

-- Larry