Excluding Bacteria

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Oct 10 02:24:43 EST 1998

In article <361DBF3C.6C97 at mbioekol.lu.se>, David.Hagerberg at mbioekol.lu.se
says...

> Has anybody some suggestion how to keep soil free from bacteria and
> fungi respectively?

It used to be possible to cover the soil with plastic and fumigate
it by injecting methyl bromide.  I'm not sure it's legal any more.  Steam
sterilization might be your best bet.  You may be able to rent the steam
room at a commercial mushroom plant.  Commercial mushroom growers use a
sterilized culture medium to maximize mushroom yields.  That's the only
place I can think of that would be all set up to sterilize tons of soil.

-- Larry