New Poll Shows 69% of Americans Want to End Logging on Public Lands

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Oct 10 02:11:40 EST 1998

In article <199810010046.AAA28583 at fsp.fsp.com>, tkellar at FSP.FSP.COM
says...

> Hum.., but maybe we could consume less.  I personally would prefer
> my house to be built from concrete and iron and brick and stone than
> from wood: it would be safer from tornados and would last longer.

Were you aware that it takes 2 lbs of coal to manufacture one lb of
cement, and that steel manufacturing not only burns coke, but also drives
the CO2 out of huge amounts of limestone?  You end up with a structure
that may not blow away, but is terribly hazardous in an earthquake
without massive reinforcements.

-- Larry