average homes per average acre of forest harvest?

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Sat Oct 10 13:59:59 EST 1998

Here's an answer from export territory. In coastal Washington an unexeptional
industrial stand of western hemlock/red cedar will run 35 MBF/acre at 35 years
and may double that at 70 years.

But here's a twist:  as the stand ages the proportion of exportable wood rises
to 55-65% of the stand from 10-15% when younger. Young stands are typically cut
into chip & saw or low grade dimension lumber while the clear, straight, higher
ring count logs are shipped overseas, leaving the tops and a small amount of low
grade for domestic use.  So how many homes can be built per acre:  less from the
superior stand, more from the "immature".

So is the value of an exported log lost? If you own a Toyota, Sony, a Seiko, or
a Chinese made toy, part of the price paid was supported by US exports of logs.
If your interest rate drops so you can finally afford that new home, was that
because of the "Asian flu" and this year's rise of the domestic log market or
because our banks have had to shift their business back home to pick up the
slack?

Just muddying the water,
Mike H.