Super Trees

Teel Adams coltom at dcr.net
Sun Oct 11 11:42:22 EST 1998

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Noreastah wrote:
>
> > >Hybrid poplar trees suck up heavy metals and solvents
> > >The yellow poplar, also known as the tulip poplar, is one of the
> > largest
> > >and most commercially valuable hardwood trees. It grows primarily east
> > of
> > >the Mississippi River.
>
> Hybrid poplar are not tulip poplars.  Tulip poplars are in the magnolia
> family while hybrid poplars are in the aspen family.  These are not
> commercially valuable hardwoods.  These poplars were developed mainly for
> the use in the co-generation of energy projects that were popular during the
> energy crisis days of the 70's and 80's.  Aspens are low in strength, and
> are primarily used as pulpwood, meaning that any locked up tissue chemicals
> will be going back into the paper.

I understand that yellow popular is being used in the manufactured  lumber
industry.  We has a rather large source of VOC PSD permit that was a
popular/glue binding operation.  It was controversial because it pointed out
that Kentucky had not forestry management regulations.   In Eastern Kentucky,
with the problems with water quality/ landslides and the fact that huge tracts
are absentee landlords,  there was reason to be concerned.  Conversely,  many
landowners were rightly concerned about restrictions of there ability to use
their land.   There is also the issue of  landowner protection,  how can you
trust the bunch of yahoos that come to contract to remove your timber.
In the end,  requirements that basically just required the review of a timber
management plan for moderate sized timbering operations.   At least, then people
can understand the Clean water liability of bad removal,  and they are give some
protection for the bulldoze and rape contract lumbering practices.

The U.S. EPA and others have looked at bioremediataion,  some trees and plants
show promise as having the ability to remove moderate levels of wide spread
contamination.
There are some problems,  the private sector lawyers had to leave liability
outstanding, and would rather did and haul and remove perfectly salvageable
topsoil,   communities are often concerned about the long term management of
such plans.