average homes per average acre of forest harvest?

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Mon Oct 12 10:43:02 EST 1998

That's a good point.
I'd like to hear from someone actually over there what current use is made of
Northwest logs. My contacts are no longer in the importing countries.

What used to be the case was that imported wood was mostly cut into higher
grade/clear trim, especially window and door stock.  Apartments typically are
concrete and steel with wood used for appearance trim and concrete forms. The
plywood likely came from south Asia, since most PNW exported wood is (or was)
too small to veneer.

The degree of utilization achieved on imported logs (in Japan especially) was
famous and envied by US carpenters.

So how many Asian homes could be built per acre of woods?  Many!  But the source
acres are in many different locations around the world.
Mike H.