Clearcuts & sustainability

Richard Scott rscott at wnstar.com
Thu Oct 15 09:49:57 EST 1998

Dan,

Thanks for your reply.  It seems your people & my people need to get
together, because even though I have worked in DF forests for over 20
yrs., I have never heard of a Formes annotosum.  Probably the
mycologists & pathologists just don't talk frequently enough.

I have heard of a disease we used to call Fomes annosus (now
Heterobasidion annosus), which I suspect is the same thing--scientific
names do change and perhaps that's what has happened.  Annosus, in the
experience of foresters & pathologists, however, is not as infective
as you suggest and healthy trees can often overcome an attack. It does
spread by root contact and by spores which are released from
honey-colored mushrooms.  Although large stumps do take a long time to
decay, I have never read any literature that suggests infection by
annosus slows the decay process.

Species vary in their susceptibility and the seriousness of the
disease varies by region.  Furthermore, the disease has different
strains, each of which is associated with a specific species of tree,
so that the strain that infects pines is not effective at attacking
DF.

Treatment for annosus infected stands depends on whether the stand is
east or west of the Cascade crest, as it is more serious on the east
side.  I have never heard of a hot burn being employed to treat an
infection, although I would not be surprised if it had been tried.  I
also would not expect it to work, because one would have to almost
totally consume the stump and roots, which never happens in fresh cut
stumps--only old stumps which have had a year or more to dry out in a
dry climate.

Since the different strains are associated with different tree
species, we can manage the disease simply by switching conifer
species, rather than going to hardwoods.

Again, thanks for your reply.  See you at Tree School?

Dick Scott
Estacada