Clearcuts & sustainability

Richard Scott rscott at wnstar.com
Fri Oct 16 09:03:59 EST 1998

Dan,

Good grief, did I screw up!  Time to get the old noggin readjusted!

Although I had the name right, except for the typo that added the "r"
in Fomes, everything I said was about Armillaria ostoyae, not annosus.
It's not like I didn't know better, just got my head screwed on wrong
that morning.  Kind of like my Dad calling me by my brother's name--at
least I think he could tell us apart.  Sorry about the confusion.

Sounds like the mushrooming must be pretty good up around Timothy at
this time of yr.  Never got into mushrooms, myself, since to me they
are kind of like eating tofu which never impressed me much.  Did
collect a  lot of shaggy manes in Montana since they were so easy to
identify and so abundant.

Thanks for your input.  What was going on was I was getting ready for
a debate on Measure 64.  Fortunately, the subject of sustainability
never came up.  I say fortunately because you were the only one with
any input, after I called & emailed various professors like Jerry
Franklin & also tried to contact extension agents for 2 days.  I
suspect the sustainability question is an unfounded assertion that
sounds good but has never been proven.  I know it has no widespread
acceptance by foresters.  The debate will be on Town Hall Sunday at 6,
Ch. 2.  The interesting thing about the show, was that I think less of
it now than I did before, as their objective is to generate more heat
than light about the issue.

Dick Scott