research on ice storm and forest

Schembari3 schembari3 at
Tue Oct 27 05:48:53 EST 1998

>sebas2402 at (sebastien perrier) wrote:
>>If you have informations on the 1991 ice
>>storm in n-y or any knowledge on the general subject please contact me.
>Do you mean the ice storm of January 1998?  If so, the New York State
>Department of Environmental Conservation has the best statistics; Cornell
>Cooperative Extension issued the best guidelines for dealing with the impact
>the storm on trees -- urban and forest trees.
>Other sources of information are the archives  of the many newspapers and
>services that covered the storm, and weather websites.

Contact Dr. Paul Manion at SUNY ESF in Syracuse.  He has had crews out all
summer doing survey work on the ice damage in New York State.   He also has a
dataset on forest health in NY for 1996, so comparisons can be made.  Something
like 500+ randomly located sites were sampled this past summer, so there is
lots of data.

E-mail is pdmanion at

You can also get his phone number via the schools webpage at:

Angelo Schembari
SUNY-College of Environmental Science and Forestry
Syracuse, NY