research on ice storm and forest

Schembari3 schembari3 at aol.com
Tue Oct 27 05:48:53 EST 1998

>sebas2402 at hotmail.com (sebastien perrier) wrote:
>
>>If you have informations on the 1991 ice
>>storm in n-y or any knowledge on the general subject please contact me.
>
>Do you mean the ice storm of January 1998?  If so, the New York State
>Department of Environmental Conservation has the best statistics; Cornell
>Cooperative Extension issued the best guidelines for dealing with the impact
>of
>the storm on trees -- urban and forest trees.
>
>Other sources of information are the archives  of the many newspapers and
>wire
>services that covered the storm, and weather websites.
>
>FF

Guys,

Contact Dr. Paul Manion at SUNY ESF in Syracuse.  He has had crews out all
summer doing survey work on the ice damage in New York State.   He also has a
dataset on forest health in NY for 1996, so comparisons can be made.  Something
like 500+ randomly located sites were sampled this past summer, so there is
lots of data.

E-mail is pdmanion at mailbox.syr.edu.

You can also get his phone number via the schools webpage at:
http://www.esf.edu/faculty/efb/

Cheers,

Angelo

Angelo Schembari
SUNY-College of Environmental Science and Forestry
Syracuse, NY