Truffles starting to fruit

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Fri Oct 30 11:20:20 EST 1998

In article <36393DA2.44F7 at livingston.net>,
  dstaples at livingston.net wrote:
> dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:
> >
> > Yet this ng has little posted information about non-traditional forest
> > products. I think this shows that many "foresters" can't see the forest for
> > the trees. It's too bad they underground processes and species are so totally
> > ignored. It this a case of out of sight, out of mind? Or is it simply
> > ignorance?
> >

> Perhaps it is a matter of we have our own job to do, and that usually
> doesn't include the fungii.  You and a couple of others post well on the
> subject, we bow to your superior knowledge of things fungal.
>
> --
> Don Staples

Thank you for the compliment Don. I wish I knew as much about fungi as you
think I do.

However, back OT. Fungi make up 52-55% of the biomass of both forests and
plantation, including fungi in leaves, on roots, and in the cambium. Thus IMHO
forest managers who ignore fungi should more accurately be described as forest
mismanagers.

Trees make up only 30-35% of biomass.

Here's another fact: a tree may grow up to 13 feet a year (in very rare
cases). Morel mycelium can grow 40 feet in 6 months. Trees typically grow in a
cylindrical space. Fungi tend to occupy 3-dimensional space underground, or in
wood.

Finally, Prof. Orson K. Miller once estimated what the earth would look like
without saprophytic and coprophytic fungi: imagine all land covered 65 feet
deep by wood, leaves, and animal 'byproducts'.

I think this qualifies as "deep do-do."

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com