Mycorrhizal fungi and seedling survival

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Wed Sep 16 16:32:23 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <35FFD260.2E48 at livingston.net>, dstaples at livingston.net
> says...
>
> > One anecdotal case is insufficient to make a call on, and the increased
> > rainfall may have a lot to do with it.  That said, if the proof is that
> > the treatment will reduce mortality by half on worse case scenarios, it
> > is worth it.  Application would be an add on to existing dips for other
> > purposes, so little cost other than the source of the innoculant.
>
> Two anecdotal cases.  I innoculated douglas fir seedlings with truffles
> last winter and the winter before.  Several of the seedlings were
> interplanted in an area where I had poor survival the year before.  I
> used a bare root dip of truffle slurry, with no followup innoculations.
>
> Weather conditions affect survival, but I have 1-year innoculated
> seedlings that are ahead of 2-year uninocculated seedlings, and they just
> look healthier with darker foliage and thicker stems.  Since they are
> planted in the same dirt, right next to each other, that makes
> comparisons pretty easy.

Did you use any of the water retention crystals in the slurry?  Might be
an add on worth the time.  That alone has increased survival rate on
droughty soils here in Texas.  Size and color also affected due to more
moisture available during the first year, but the fungi innoculant
sounds good.  Wonder what species that particular innoculant would work
on?
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335