ACF Update

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Sep 17 12:34:16 EST 1998

Don Staples wrote:

> From National ACF.
>
> - National Association of Professional Forestry Schools and Colleges
> meeting September 18,
> Traverse City Michigan.
> Loren Larson discussed ACF activities scheduled for the SAF national
> convention in Traverse
> City, MI.  The National Association of Professional Forestry Schools and
> Colleges is meeting in
> Traverse City, Michigan, and has asked the ACF to participate in a round
> table discussion
> scheduled for September 18.  This is an opportunity to discuss issues
> and seek ways to
> collaborate between the ACF and the Forestry School Deans.  The ACF will
> raise concerns over
> preparedness of graduates entering the forestry profession (The ACF
> will recommended to the
> Deans that they ensure the students wishing to progress to field work
> are educated as
> foresters and not graduate students).

I'm not a member of ACF, but I'll throw my 2 cents in any ways. If what
you mean is that grad students should be trained differently, I
disagree. I think all those who don't intend to work in the forests;
should also be solidly trained in field work; because those teaching
forestry or future forestry bureaucrats or future forest "missionaries"
also need this training- to really understand what the "lesser breed"-
the field hand foresters are doing- because they ought to be serving the
field hands - not just themselves in their juicy careers. <G>

   The ACF will offer outreach
> opportunities by Consulting
> Foresters to students at schools and universities introducing the
> consulting profession as a
> career choice.

Just don't show them pictures of field hand foresters in their paint
splattered coveralls and mud drenched boots, or their rust bucket trucks
or slum apartments. <G>

Show pictures of consultants in expensive clothes driving sports cars
with good looking people of the opposite sex next to them. That ought to
get them. <G>

  Information about the PFIT travel assistantships for
> students will be presented.
> In addition, the ACF will voice concern regarding the limited research
> targeting or aiding
> nonindustrial private landowners, specifically growth and yield
> information.

Good point. Yes, bring up the subject of the abject failure the forestry
establishment to accomplish anything with regard to actually increasing
forestry activity in the world, while they have been successful in
taking care of their own professional pastures- mostly fertilizing them
regularly. <G>

> --
> Don Staples
> UIN 4653335
>
> Web Offerings:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/
>
> << "Yes, the president should resign. He has lied to the American
> people, time and time again, and betrayed their trust.  Since he has
> admitted guilt, there is no reason to put the American people through
> an impeachment.  He will serve absolutely no purpose in finishing out
> his term, the only possible solution is for the president to save some
> dignity and resign.">>
>
>  - 12th Congressional District Hopeful William Jefferson Clinton, during
>  the Nixon investigations in 1972.

Now, now Don, putting that in your signature? I'm not sure that it's
fair comparing Clinton lying about his sex life and Nixon lying about
the Vietnam War and breaking and entering.

Clinton's a whoremonger. Nixon was a warmonger. Slight difference.

--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com