WALL: David Chain - A Perspective (fwd)

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sun Sep 27 16:00:48 EST 1998

Bob Taylor wrote:

> OK then, let's get serious.  Please tell me what "Life on Earth" is being destroyed
> by cutting PL's remaining old-growth redwoods.  Not marbled murrelets.  There are
> tens of thousands of them elsewhere on the North American coast.  Not spotted
> owls.  Good evidence suggests that they don't care for old-growth redwoods.  Coho
> salmon?  Perhaps minimal damage to a few out of the many hundreds of streams they
> inhabit in California.  Not even to the redwood trees themselves.  The same genetic
> individuals will resprout from the roots and stumps of the fallen trees.
>
> There are lots of worthwhile environmental issues to fight over, but this is not
> one of them.  The appeal of the Earth First! campaign against PL is little more
> than the adrenalin rush of a good fight.engaged in with lots of moral certainty and
> little thought.
>
> Bob Taylor

There is a long historical and literary and environmental tradition
built around the enjoyment of old growth forests and untrammeled nature.
If you don't appreciate that, fine. Others do and will fight for their
opinions, like you will fight for whatever you believe in. And what I
say here doesn't mean I'm in 100% support of what those "tree huggers"
did in their trespassing, it's just that I can understand that they have
their own views- which are not insubstantial. The same way I can have
some respect for "gun-nuts" in their opinions, even I don't agree with
THEIR intimidating tactics which are "liberally" applied to our
political leaders in order to get what THEY want; tactics FAR more
aggressive than anything any tree hugger could think up.

--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com