melia azedarach

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 30 12:40:35 EST 1998

Should have nice-sized ones by the end of March.  Still in leaf now, end of
September/beginning of October.  You can have as much as you want!  This is a
weak-wooded tree that practically heaves limbs at cars, drops big leaves and
messy/stinky fruits, and has invaded East Texas.  The seeds are like
ball-bearings--stepping on one can send you plummeting to an early death.  The
fruits ferment on the tree the spring after they ripen, causing all the local
birds to have an orgy and then smash into the windows.  The only nice thing
about this plant is how wonderful it looks all covered with purple flowers and
full of a flock of cedar waxwings.  (Until the waxwings slam into the windows.)

M. Reed.