INDUSTRY SEEKS JUDGE'S APPROVAL TO LOG TRACTS

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Aug 28 09:56:59 EST 1999

In article <7q7oq7$ldr$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, truffler1635 at my-deja.com
writes:

> COMMENT BY POSTER: A cursory glance doesn't show much compelling
> evidence for the timber industry here. BTW, why do articles always say
> "timber industry" vs. "environmentalists", like there are no
> environmentalists in the timber industry? Is it just an attempt to cause
> alienation? Or is it an attempt to justify a position?

Americans live and die by professional sports teams.  They want clear-cut
(oooooh, I really did that!) divisions between sides or they lose
interest.  Newspapers feed that by sticking to labels.

As it happens, Lone Rock Timber is a local group for me.  It's the tree
growing arm of Sun Studs, a mill that I drive past on my way to work
every morning.  I have taken classes from Lone Rock foresters at the
local community college, and can tell you that these guys are some of the
most passionate environmentalists you will ever meet.  They go to such
lengths as to send a crew in before they log to pick cones, then culture
and replant the exact same genetic stock that came off the site.  Dan
Newton (who has since moved over to Roseburg Lumber) says that every
little valley has a unique genetic makeup that has adapted to the site
over the course of thousands of years, and the native trees on a site
just grow better there.

The Forest Service deserves to get their weenies whacked on this one.  It
is obvious that they hired a raft of new bureaucrats instead of hiring
the scientists necessary to do the species surveys.  Unfortunately, the
bureaucrats don't lose their jobs when they screw up.  It's the guys in
the mill at Sun Studs and Roseburg Lumber that lose their jobs.

-- Larry