Chestnut

Doug Bartley further at inh.co.jp
Mon Dec 6 23:08:35 EST 1999

In article <826811$gbo$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

>It may be easier than you think Karl. In Oregon, chestnut grows as both
>isolated tree, where the growth pattern is similar to oaks or apples.
>But it _also_ grows well as an _understory_ tree, under 60-150 foot tall
>Douglas fir. The later habitat doesn't grow chestnut as quickly as in
>the open, but does encourage trees to form fairly straight trunks which
>are rather tall. I haven't seen any trees comparable to the old-growth
>chestnut that used to cover much of the East Coast (one photo I have
>seen shows a grove 13-foot diameter chestnuts with at least 80 foot-tall
>trunks before the first branches). Comparing those trees to our paltry
>3-8 foot diameter trees is pretty sad. OTOH, our trees are only 80 years
>old, and the ones in the photo were probably several hundred years old,
>so if you can wait...
>
>Daniel B. Wheeler
>www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

FWIW - the biggest chestnut trees I have seen in Portland (or anywhere,
really) are located in Greenwood Hill Cemetery -- near the intersection
of SW Palatine Hill and Boones Ferry Rd's. Worth a drive from Mt. Tabor
if you haven't seen them I'd think...

Thanks for posting the article.

Regards,

Doug Bartley