Chestnut

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Dec 8 12:00:17 EST 1999

In article <B472B7539668ABFC at 0.0.0.0>,
  further at inh.co.jp (Doug Bartley) wrote:
> In article <826811$gbo$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
> truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >It may be easier than you think Karl. In Oregon, chestnut grows as both
> >isolated tree, where the growth pattern is similar to oaks or apples.
> >But it _also_ grows well as an _understory_ tree, under 60-150 foot tall
> >Douglas fir. The later habitat doesn't grow chestnut as quickly as in
> >the open, but does encourage trees to form fairly straight trunks which
> >are rather tall. I haven't seen any trees comparable to the old-growth
> >chestnut that used to cover much of the East Coast (one photo I have
> >seen shows a grove 13-foot diameter chestnuts with at least 80 foot-tall
> >trunks before the first branches). Comparing those trees to our paltry
> >3-8 foot diameter trees is pretty sad. OTOH, our trees are only 80 years
> >old, and the ones in the photo were probably several hundred years old,
> >so if you can wait...
> >
> >Daniel B. Wheeler
> >www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.
>
> FWIW - the biggest chestnut trees I have seen in Portland (or anywhere,
> really) are located in Greenwood Hill Cemetery -- near the intersection
> of SW Palatine Hill and Boones Ferry Rd's. Worth a drive from Mt. Tabor
> if you haven't seen them I'd think...
>
> Thanks for posting the article.
>
> Regards,
>
> Doug Bartley

Thanks for posting your note, Doug. I _haven't_ seen them...yet.

I think the largest recorded chestnut in Oregon is between Tualatin and
Sherwood: it almost got cut when the highway was widened. I went by it
again last weekend. Even without leaves on, it's a pretty impressive
tree: probably 6' diameter at the base, and easily 80' high. But if you
don't know what you're looking at, you probably just think it's an old
walnut tree. I think this is the one Maynard Drawson refers to in one of
his books as a record for Oregon.