Chestnut

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Mon Dec 13 02:15:36 EST 1999

In article <831fge$ho95 at jumpee.psu.ac.th>,
  s4180052 at maliwan.psu.ac.th (MR. Pradid LUECHAI) wrote:
> Doug Bartley (further at inh.co.jp) wrote:
> : In article <826811$gbo$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
> : truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
>
> : >It may be easier than you think Karl. In Oregon, chestnut grows as both
> : >isolated tree, where the growth pattern is similar to oaks or apples.
> : >But it _also_ grows well as an _understory_ tree, under 60-150 foot tall
> : >Douglas fir. The later habitat doesn't grow chestnut as quickly as in
> : >the open, but does encourage trees to form fairly straight trunks which
> : >are rather tall. I haven't seen any trees comparable to the old-growth
> : >chestnut that used to cover much of the East Coast (one photo I have
> : >seen shows a grove 13-foot diameter chestnuts with at least 80 foot-tall
> : >trunks before the first branches). Comparing those trees to our paltry
> : >3-8 foot diameter trees is pretty sad. OTOH, our trees are only 80 years
> : >old, and the ones in the photo were probably several hundred years old,
> : >so if you can wait...
> : >
> : >Daniel B. Wheeler
> : >www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
> : >
> : >
> : >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> : >Before you buy.
>
> : FWIW - the biggest chestnut trees I have seen in Portland (or anywhere,
> : really) are located in Greenwood Hill Cemetery -- near the intersection
> : of SW Palatine Hill and Boones Ferry Rd's. Worth a drive from Mt. Tabor
> : if you haven't seen them I'd think...
>
> : Thanks for posting the article.
>
> : Regards,
>
> : Doug Bartley

Thanks for posting this Doug. I haven't seen those trees yet, but hope
to.

I think the largest chestnut in Oregon is just outside of Sherwood. I
think directions are posted in one of Maynard Drawson's champion tree
books. I have seen that particular tree: it is somewhat isolated, but
adjacent to the Tualatin-Sherwood bypass, just north of the road. A
magnificent tree probably about 60-80 years old, but already over 5 feet
in diameter at the base, I would guess.

There are also several older chestnuts in downtown Portland between SE
39th and Burnside and SE 39th and Hawthorne. I don't know that any of
them have been measured, but they shade SE 39th avenue quite well. There
may be others, as I recall, adjacent to Laurelhurst Park.