Important Y2K Message!

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Tue Dec 28 21:59:28 EST 1999

I just received this message and followed the instructions.  I have
Windows 98 and my system was not compliant!  Now it is, thanks to Jeff.

Please pass it on.

Subject: y2k
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:18:19 -0800
From: Jeffrey Cross <jeff at jplogger.com
To: nefr-list at igc.topica.com

***************
Y2K Computer tip

You may think your PC is "Y2K" compliant and some little tests may have
actually affirmed that your hardware is compliant, but you'll be
surprised that Windows may still crash unless you do the simple exercise
below.

Easy fix, but something Microsoft seems to have missed in certifying
their software as Y2K compliant.

This is simple to do, and VERY important.

Click "START"

Click on "SETTINGS"

Double click on "CONTROL PANEL"

Double click on "Regional settings icon" (look for the little world
globe)

Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page (last tab on the top
right)

Where it says "Short Date Sample" look and see if it shows a two digit
year format: "YY"

Unless you have previously changed it it will be set incorrectly with
just 2 Y's. It NEEDS to be 4 y's.

That's because Microsoft made the 2 digits setting the Default setting
for Windows 95 and Windows 98.

This date format selected is the date that Windows feeds ALL application
software and will not rollover into the year 2000. It will roll over
into the year "00"

Click on the little arrow button in the window across from "Short Date
Style" and select the option that shows "mm/dd/yyyy" or "m/d/yyyy". Be
sure your selection has four y's and not just mm/dd/yy.

Then click "Apply"

Then click "OK" at the bottom.

Pass this info on to your PC buddies. No matter how much of a computer
guru they think they are this might be a welcome bit of information!

Jeffrey Parkman Cross   CLP
jeff at jplogger.com
http://www.jplogger.com

--
Karl Davies, Practicing Forester
http://www.daviesand.com

Northeastern Forestry Reformation List Server
http://www.igc.topica.com/lists/nefr-list