The Disappearing Forest

Jean Roy jeanroy at
Sun Jan 10 09:34:09 EST 1999

Lots of truth in what you wrote.  However, the picture is incomplete.  Wood
is most of the time the best option for construction, furniture, etc...
Without wood you'd have to rely on steel, concrete, plastics and similar
options that require lots of fossil energy to produce, that are non
renewable and in some cases that have little recycling potential.

Things would be a lot better if the message was "manage, manage, manage"
rather than "cut, cut, cut".

Wood is often the best option.  Let's just make sure that we do not run out
of it and that there is always enough wooded areas to sustain biodiversity.