PNW Special Forest Products (SFPs)

Larry Caldwell larryc at
Sat Jan 16 06:12:59 EST 1999

In article <3699609f.0 at>, dhogaza at writes:

> Not really a forest product, at least not the liberty caps with
> which most would be familiar.  These aren't an economically
> important crop, I've never met anyone who's bought them.  You
> just pick them.

You are right about the liberty caps.  They grow in cow pastures, not in
woods.  However, there is a more potent species called psilocybe cubensis
that grows nicely on alder chips.  I haven't heard of anybody producing
them commercially though.

As far as a cash crop, teenagers on the coast often make spending money
by picking liberty caps on weekends.  It's strictly a local business,
since dairy farmers get so upset about random strangers irritating their

-- Larry