Lawsuit against USFS

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Sat Jan 16 23:27:47 EST 1999

dhogaza at pacifier.com (Don Baccus) wrote:

>KMorrisD <kmorrisd at aol.com> wrote:
>
>>I believe that it was in one of Randal O'Toole's Different Drummers that I
>read
>>that in California, only about 5% of the acreage that the USFS claimed it
>>replanted (after clearcuts) actually was replanted.  Yet somebody paid for
>all
>>that fictional replanting.  Guess who that was.
>
>5% seems wrong, the backlog certainly isn't 95% in Oregon (though
>there's a considerable backlog).

I loaned that Different Drummer to Joe, so I can't check the reference.  But as
I recall, the USFS claimed to have replanted those areas.  So it wasn't an
issue of their being backlogged.  Maybe Joe could check on that for us.

But the backlogging issue should be of concern too, especially in light of what
Daniel Wheeler has told us about the time window for effective replanting.

Maybe they should take some of that money they're siphoning off for state and
private forestry and put it into replanting NOW. <G>

KMD