Lawsuit against USFS

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Sat Jan 16 22:48:16 EST 1999

peters at chibardun.net (mike peterson) wrote:

>I am a Forest
>Administrator for a large County Forest in
>Wisconsin, and the idea that the feds could be shut down scares the hell out
>of me.

Hi Mike,

I'm curious.  What is your cost as a percentage of gross sales on your county's
forests?

BTW, I for one am not arguing that cutting should be shut down on USFS lands.
I'm arguing that the land should be turned over to federal trusts, as suggested
by Randal O'Toole and others.  See http://www.ti.org/2c.html especially Pilot
4: Forest Trusts.  The idea is to introduce some fiduciary responsibility and
thereby to lower costs.

Also, for the record, I think the USFS does a lot of good research.  But that's
about all that they do well IMO.

Karl Davies, Consulting Forester
Northampton, MA