deer tales or wolf stories

Mike Hagen mhagen at
Mon Jan 25 16:54:49 EST 1999

We're seriously considering reintroducing a few wolves to the Olympic
National Park and nearby west end lands. All public meetings so far have
been orchestrated anti-wolf events so the local paper decided to print
the survey, so "normal" residents will have a chance at representation.
I just filled out a fairly positive opinion on mine.

This area has a pattern of hysterical over reaction to ANY gummint
involvement and a history of repeated panic wildlife management. Witness
the recent embarrassing fiasco over ridding the Olympic Park of Mountain
Goats. Demonstrations, crying women, helicopter borne vasectomy crews,
and years spent hunting the dreaded billies out of every remote crag in
the park.

Now with a ban on hound hunting, we've got an expanding cougar
population AND a bounty of deer. And a proposal from our Congressman,
Norm Dicks, to bring wolves back. As a timber cruiser and river
restoration consultant, I admit I'll be on my toes when next I see a big
dog out in the sticks, but I sort of like the idea. Frankly, I think
wolves might thin the deer herd to a more healthy population and as far
as elk go, poachers are a far bigger problem.
So, you folks back east..  Want some wolves for your deer problem?
Mike H.