Lawsuit against USFS

dwheeler at dwheeler at
Mon Jan 25 02:44:38 EST 1999

In article <78gbda$sdo at>,
  "HULTGREN" <arne at> wrote:
> JZ-
> If one isn't familiar with western mixed conifer, one might think that
> replanting is enough. IT'S NOT. If you're gonna clearcut, you'd better be
> prepared to spray a couple of times to get that plantation established. And
> USFS has a de facto moratorium against ANY herbicides, no matter how safe.

It may not be necessary to use herbicides. At least, it looks that way at
lower elevations. When Rhizopogon vinicolor is inoculated with seedling (or
even with seeds) of Douglas fir, growth is 3-7 times what it might otherwise
be. Thus a 22-inch 4-year-old seedling tree becomes a 66-inch tree (minimum)
after being treated. The key still remains rapid replanting, since Rhizopogon
vinicolor is a very common hypogeous symbiont of Douglas fir, from 2-250
years old at least. Such rapid growth makes herbicidal treatment pointless:
no light, no weeds.  > Why don't we do an experiment where we do a 99-yr
lease to a private concern

> to manage a large (50K ac +) tract of USFS land, and see if it can be done
> profitably AND in a biologically sound manner (now there's a thread).

Actually, I believe it is being done, but not at the rate you suggest. A
group including members of the World Forestry Association are trying this
now. We believe the value of even these seedling inoculated trees exceeds the
value of uninoculated trees. Certainly if the growth rate proves out (current
data is only from nursery beds and very limited out-plantings), it makes
Douglas fir the best tree to plant locally, as well as the most common west
of the Cascades.  This

> is like the Canadian Crown Lands, I think. And it's better than doing
> nothing. If nothing continues to be done, there are some serious fuel loads
> that will be dealt with, one way or the other.... The 1992 Fountain Fire
> east of Redding, California burned 64,000 acres in essentially 36 hours,
> burning about 300 MMBF of merch timber. If it hadn't burned, it would've
> produced 300 MMBF in following decade without depleting that standing
> volume.
> best regards,
> Arne Hultgren

The problem with larger acreages is that the raw inoculant cannot be
collected quickly. The sporocarps are seasonal and must be dried quickly and
stored until the slurry inoculant is prepared. The good news is that Dr.
James Trappe has said that 3-4 "average sized" Rhizopogons contains
sufficient spores to inoculate 2-3 million seedlings in a nursery setting.
You might ask your local seed nursery if they use any mycorrhizal inoculant
at all: most don't even know about mycorrhizal fungi.

Daniel B. Wheeler