Uh, speaking of property rights...

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Wed Jan 27 21:31:46 EST 1999

DVK <dvank at michweb.net> wrote:

>What
>properties can be exempted from this requirement?

In MA sales less than 25 Mbf or 50 cd are exempt from state-required "cutting
plans".  Maybe that threshhold should be raised for "silvicultural plans".
Same as with buildings over certain sizes needing architectural designs.  As
for conversions of forest land to other uses, that certainly wouldn't require a
silvicultural plan.

>I think the service forester will be keeping busy, and the small landowner
>will be
>happy that the newly super-expensive registered forester won't be shoved down
>their
>throat for no reason.

Hmmm.  That's an interesting idea.  Limit service foresters to properties under
20 acres?  Maybe under 10 acres? <G>  Let the state subsidize the small
landowners and not the big ones.  That sort of makes sense, except that a lot
of small landowners are quite wealthy too.  BTW, why do you think the state
should subsidize ANY landowners?

Why super expensive?  I see no reason why fees would go up.  But I can imagine
(and hope) that the amount of work for consultants would increase,  and the
profitability of their businesses would increase from economies of scale.

>AND OF
>COURSE, the registered forester will not require payment for his/her services
>until
>3 years after the break even point (sans plan) has been reached <G>.

What break even point?  All my clients get quick tax savings from the use value
assessment plans I write for them.  The cost of the plan is usually paid for in
one year.  The savings on the next nine years go to the landowner.

Costs of timber sales are almost always more than offset immediately by the
difference between the median and the high bid.  Costs of thinnings are quickly
paid for by increased value growth rates on residual trees.

If you're talking pruning or planting, then you may have a point.  But these
improvements have discounted values that should be at least equal to their
costs.  If they're not, then you shouldn't do them.

Thanks for your comments and have fun shopping for a consulting forester.  You
may want to quiz the candidates on the above points concerning the value of
their services. <G>

KMD