Scientists Find Serious Holes in Habitat Conservation Plans

Don Baccus dhogaza at
Thu Jan 28 17:59:02 EST 1999

In article <78osav$7jd at>,
HULTGREN <arne at> wrote:

>Uh, excuse me Don. How many HCP's have you read and what are your
>qualifications that lend credibility to your criticism?
>I happen to know that these HCP's ARE flexible. (You have know idea how much
>work and how expensive they are) They are basically an environmental tax;
>one of many.

The HCP agreement signed by Weyerhauser last year locked in terms
for several decades.

I should've been clearer, HCP's aren't necessarily inflexible.  A
more precise statement is that certain very large landowners have
negotiated HCP agreements which are very inflexible.

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza at>
  Nature photos, on-line guides, at