Chip Mills Face New Restrictions in Missouri

Bob Wright rtwright at
Sat Jan 30 09:23:32 EST 1999

Sometimes a little common sense....  Nobody in their right mind is going to
build, or has built, a chip plant just for the sake of building a chip plant.
The end product has a home, usually long before the plant is conceived or
constructed.  The apparent proliferation of chip plants is largely a result of
the industry's shift away from mill-site chippers with their attendant high
labor and maintenance costs in favor of either independent facilites or
non-union dedicated facilities.  The key question is not about turning big
pieces of wood into little pieces of wood, rather has the volume of wood
substantively changed.