More horse-pucky propoganda

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Jan 30 13:20:58 EST 1999

In article <78svlo$vt9$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dwheeler at teleport.com
writes:

> > I don't know any Mountain Hemlock stands that average 21 Mbf/acre. In fact
> > it's unusual there's enough to cut; it grows at such high elevation it's a
> > terrible timber tree (awful form).  How long did this appeal tie things up?
> > I've seen fire salvage sales that took 3 years to put up, then get literally
> > appealed to death so that no site rehab was ever done. And fire-clearcuts
> > are not limited to 10-20 acres.

> Exactly. And at higher elevations it grows _very slowly_. So that means that
> this massive scar will remain for many generations. Regeneration at mountain
> hemlock elevations presumes reforestry is possible. Considering the
> mycorrhizal at upper elevations is not well documented and certainly not
> cultivated, reforestation is more supposition than fact.

You guys have me puzzled with this.  I took a log scaling and grading
course a couple years ago, and we scaled quite a bit of mountain hemlock.
It had very wide growth rings, and appeared to be the fastest growing
softwood log in the deck.  Often growth rings were over 1/2" wide, so the
tree was putting on over an inch in diameter every year.  I saw plenty of
logs that were 18" on the narrow end, and 40' long.  OTOH, there was a
lot of freeze damage in mountain hem, which dropped the grade.  However,
the form was beautiful, with lots of straight clear logs.

Now, if there are 100 trees per acre, that comes to about 200 bf per tree
to make 21 mbf per acre.  We aren't talking very big trees here.

Also, a 2000 acre clearcut is a violation of the Oregon Forest Practices
Act.  Clearcuts in Oregon are limited by law to no more than 80
contiguous acres.  Thus, the 2,225 acre sale has to be spread out over a
wide area.  This is probably why 20 miles of new road has to be built.

-- Larry