LANDSCOPE: Americans Favor Roadless Area Protection (corrected)

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 20:22:33 EST 1999

Surveys, everyone knows, can be designed so that they obtain the desired
results.  Such may be the case with the Heritage Forest Campaign survey quoted
below.

I use Juno free e-mail for nearly all of my e-mail -- in return for free
e-mail, ads are displayed during opening, sending and receiving operations.
The
user is given an option to close the ad, or to obtain more information, after
which, typically, there is an order form which must be filled in and sent to be
activated.

I'm almost positive that this survey by the Heritage Forest Campaign is one
that I responded to, but not intentionally.  When I looked for more information
after the initial ad was presented, that triggered an irrevocable vote AGAINST
roads.  There was no opportunity to vote FOR roads, nor any opportunity to
withdraw my "vote" against.

The issue is not HOW I would have voted -- I would not have voted based on the
very limited information presented.  And, short of exiting the program and
deleting the reply by going to File Manager (no disparaging comments about
Windows 3.11 users, please!), there was no way to cancel my "vote."

FF