Mal-formed Privet.

Anthony G Booth abooth at iee.org
Wed Jun 9 05:25:00 EST 1999

I am not a horticulturalist but have become intrigued by a type of
mal-formed growth which I have observed.  Please can anybody suggest for
me the cause of the mal-formation of growth in the sample of a privet
branch shown at:
  http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~abooth/privet.jpg

The branch has grown as though it is made up of about a dozen parallel
branches connected as a flat slab with thickness equivalent to one branch.
 Note in the picture that the leaf at lower right centre, of which the
back is viewed and which is partly obscured by another curved leaf,
consists of two leaves growing from each other.

There have been a number of other mal-formed growths around our dwelling
in the past couple of years, not just this case with the privet.  Is this
perhaps the effect of stray weed killing chemicals from near-by lawn
treatment?

Tony Booth   Streatham London England   abooth at iee.org