Heavy pruning, Joe !!?

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Jun 17 10:22:50 EST 1999

HULTGREN wrote:

> Pruning to a 33% crown ratio seems severe, but then what do I know about
> eastern hardwoods. I know it's pretty minimal for Pacific slope conifers and
> would generally select AGAINST such a tree.
> Comments?

That's only a vague general rule. How much to prune depends on the shape of the
tree and high you can reach. But in a forest condition, a hardwood tree will be
just as healthy with only a 33% crown as 50%. The most critical thing is to get
that first log- to 17'. Beyond that you prune for aesthetics, if at all. Pruning
hardwoods in forests is seldom done here except in parks. After all, it's
expensive, and our society would rather invest millions supporting forestry
bureaucracies, rather than invest in high quality future timber. <G>

I seem to recall reading about a million year ago that retaining 40% of the
crown of softwoods is a good general rule. Such a tree wouldn't look good out in
your front year, but it will be healthy in a closed forest.

--
Joe Zorzin, Silviculturist
http://forestmeister.com

The official Zippy the Pinhead homepage