Heavy pruning, Joe !!?

Woodnet woodnet at moscow.com
Thu Jun 17 13:43:22 EST 1999

>I seem to recall reading about a million year ago that retaining 40% of the
>crown of softwoods is a good general rule. Such a tree wouldn't look good
out in
>your front year, but it will be healthy in a closed forest.

For softwoods, its really quite species dependent. For lodgepole pine, a 33%
crown ration is probably quite adequate, they usually don't have much more
than that anyway, unless open grown. For western red cedar and true firs,
like Abies grandis and subalpine, 33% would probably be the kiss of
stagnation or death. I agree 40% is a good rule of thumb, but other factors,
including tree density, and what will happen to shading caused by pruning
might also be considered.

Malcolm L. Dell, Coordinator
Woodnet Development Council, Inc.
"Dedicated to Sustainable, Small-Scale Forest Enterprises"
PO Box 709
Orofino, ID 83544
(208) 476-4263
(208) 476-4860 (FAX)