Weyerhauser merger

Christopher Erickson chrerick at email.msn.com
Tue Jun 22 08:00:07 EST 1999

The article included below is FYI, although I am sure every one has heard
about the Weyerhauser MacBloedel  merger as it is big news. I am curious
what people think of it? Is this good for forestry? the environment?

Monday June 21, 6:45 pm Eastern Time
Weyerhaeuser Purchases Mac. Bloedel
By LUIS CABRERA
Associated Press Writer
SEATTLE (AP) -- Weyerhaeuser (NYSE:WY - news) said its purchase of Canadian
forest-products competitor MacMillan Bloedel for $2.45 billion in stock will
expand its product line and immediately add to earnings.

Weyerhaeuser already is the world's largest producer of softwood lumber and
market pulp, and the deal would make the Federal Way-based company a leader
in packaging as well.

When complete, the transaction will boost Weyerhaeuser's annual sales to
about $13.3 billion from $10.8 billion last year, Weyerhaeuser said in a
news release.

Weyerhaeuser also expects to achieve some $150 million in annual benefits
through savings in transportation and distribution, improving purchasing
practices, increasing the balance in its manufacturing system and
streamlining operations.

snipped.

--
Chris Erickson