Hybrid poplar for pulp

John Burt john at callerfence.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 15:37:32 EST 1999

In article <19990227134658.13523.00001621 at ng-ch1.aol.com>, TREES4WOOD
<trees4wood at aol.com> writes
>The big problem that I am facing is that I am at least 200 miles (one way) from
>the nearest pulp mill in the U.S.  There may be some possibilities for shipping
>to Canada but that means dealing with customs, although if the landowner wants
>to explore that option, more power to them.  I did look at pulpwood production
>for biomass and there is an ethanol factory near here that could be converted
>to handle aspen and poplar. The only problem is that with our annual allowable
>harvest, we could supply the plant for 2 weeks.  Not a whole lot of time
>considering.  So biomass production is probably not even a matter I would think
>of right now.
>Thanks for all the responese.
>-Trees.

We have a mill quite near us that processes poplar for use in packing
bricks, ie as separaters between the layers. This may be worth
investigating.
Poplar was traditionally used to line stone quarry wagon bottoms,due to
its spongy nature and resistance to impact- I dont know to what extent
such wagons may be in use in your part of the world, but from the
content of other postings of yours, you don't seem averse to looking
into alternative markets for timber.
Hope this gives some food for thought.
Regards

--