Last CFP: AAAI'99 Work. on EDSS and AI

Miquel Sànchez i Marrè miquel at lsi.upc.es
Mon Mar 8 12:40:41 EST 1999

                       Last Call for Participation

Deadline is next March, 12, 1999 !

More detailed information at
http://www.lsi.upc.es/~webia/besai/edssai99.html

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this announcement, or you
are not interested on it.

Please, distribute as appropiate. Thanks !

                             AAAI 1999 Workshop
                                    on
                   Environmental Decision Support Systems
                        and Artificial Intelligence

                            July 18 or 19, 1999
                           Orlando, Florida, USA

                  A workshop held in conjunction with the

  Sixteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence AAAI 1999 and

       Eleventh Innovative Applications of AI Conference (IAAI 1999)
                  July 18-22, 1999, Orlando, Florida, USA

       Kindly
     supported
        by:          BESAI [Image]               ACIA [Image]

Workshop Information

   * What the Workshop is About
   * Format of the Workshop
   * Instructions for Participants
   * Instructions for Submissions
   * Important Dates
   * Workshop Working Notes
   * Workshop Committee
   * Address for Submissions and Further Information

What the Workshop is About

Environmental  Decision   Support  Systems   (EDSS)  are  present   in
the
environmental management process at different levels such as:

   * Design and modeling
   * Hazard identification
   * Impact assessment
   * Intervention and decision making
   * Risk evaluation
   * Prediction

Environmental Studies and Artificial Intelligence are both of strategic
interest. Both areas can provide society with solutions for many real
applications, in order to use and protect the environment. Human
activities
imply intervention into nature, but properly managed, these
interventions
can be not only ecologically sound but favorable to the continued growth
of
civilization. The encounter between these fields is a new challenge for
many researchers of both communities. Also, governmental agencies may be

interested on the workshop.

The workshop attempts to create a discussion platform for AI and
Environmental researchers involved in the development of applications in

the current and sensitive area as Environmental Decision Support Systems

are. This workshop aspires to be an open forum where to expose and
discuss
some challenging application problems, numerous AI techniques
potentially
applicable, the advances of international funded projects in the area,
and
bring together an interdisciplinary community of researchers from both
fields exchanging ideas, and possible inspiring some new lines of
research.

The technical issues that we expect to be addressed in this workshop may

come from all environmental fields (aquatic, atmospheric or terrestrial
environmental sciences), showing how AI approaches (knowledge-based
systems, artificial neural networks, case-based reasoning, data mining,
etc.) can be useful to the environmental design and management systems.
New
or improved techniques or methods, as well as innovative applications
are
welcome. Presentations of the current state of ongoing research projects
or
applications, and contributions emphasizing integration of various
technologies or paradigms are especially welcome.

Topics are focused on the following items, but not limited to:

     * Synergies between AI techniques and Environmental Sciences
     * The state of the art on AI Techniques application to
Environmental
       Decision Support Systems (EDSS)
     * Detailed applications to a real-world complex Environmental
System
     * Integration of several AI techniques or paradigms
     * Challenge applications and techniques
     * Future lines of research

Format of the Workshop

We would like to organize a one-day workshop in a horizontal fashion
using
the AI techniques or paradigms as the horizontal axis, and the
discussion
will be promoted to get benefits from a vertical axis that will be the
different Environmental fields.

Special emphasis will be devoted towards the challenge application
issues,
real world successful applications and the exchange of experiences. A
panel
and/or an invited talk(s) from rellevant computational ecologists and/or

environmental AI researchers is been considered to be included.

Presentations will be grouped into sections to foster focused
discussions.
The workshop schedule will provide time for specific discussions after
presentations as well as for extended more general exchange of ideas
between sessions. Some of the attendees will be asked to serve as
session
commentators who summarize and critically reflect on the presentations
of a
session.

There will be short and long presentations. Long presentations will be
oriented for completed or almost completed technical research
contributions
and short presentations for in-progress technical research contributions

and challenging, survey or position contributions.

Instructions for Participants

Attendance will be limited to 50 participants (upper limit). People will
be
invited to participate under the criteria of submitted relevant
long/short
papers to workshop issues.

Authors planning to submit a contribution must contact as soon as
possible
to the Workshop co-chairs by e-mail. A provisional title and abstract
must
be provided, including a brief description of contributors' research
work/publications/ongoing research projects/applications in the field
(up
to 1 page).

All workshop participants are required to register for the AAAI 1999
technical program.

Instructions for Submissions

Interested participants must submit papers electronically in Word for
Windows or Unix compatible postscript format to both co-chairs by March
12,
1999.

The format for the papers will follow the AAAI guidelines (two columns,
10-point font). The maximum length of long papers will be up to 6 pages
and
for short papers up to 3 pages. For details on the format, see the AAAI
guidelines for workshop authors.

Notification  of provisional  acceptance will  be sent  prior to  March
26,
1999. Final  camera-ready copies,  revised according to  the suggestions
of
the  reviewers by  the  Workshop co-chairs  no later  than April  21,
1999.

Important Dates

   * March 12, 1999 - Deadline for submission of papers
   * March 26, 1999 - Notification of acceptance/rejection
   * April 21, 1999 - Final revised camera-ready copies
   * July 18 or 19, 1999 - Workshop

Workshop Working Notes

Working notes are intended for use only during the workshop and will not
be
distributed beyond the workshop without permission. Thus, they shall not
be
considered for citation, unless converted to a technical report after
the
workshop.

To make workshop notes available quickly and to a wider audience,
working
notes will be turned into an AAAI technical report. To this end, the
accepted authors must also sign the Permission to Distribute Form and
deliver it joined with the camera-ready copy. Individual participants
can
choose to have their papers omitted from the technical report. AAAI will

not hold copyright on any individual contribution, but will copyright
the
collection as a whole.

While the issuance of a technical report does not constitute formal
publication, it does provide authors with a mechanism for citing their
work.

It is planned to publish some selected material based or derived from
the
workshop. As AAAI Press/The MIT Press has the first right of refusal to
publish such a work, workshop organizers will explore this opportunity
or
others available (book format, special issue of a journal), if
applicable.
Selected authors will have the opportunity to revise and extend their
contributions.

Workshop Committee

Co-chairs

   * Ulises Cortes, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
University
     of Catalonia, Catalonia, Spain (ia at lsi.upc.es)
   * Miquel Sanchez-Marre, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
     University of Catalonia, Catalonia, Spain (miquel at lsi.upc.es)

Committee

   * Paolo Avesani, Scientific and Technological Research Institute
(IRST),
     Italy (avesani at irst.itc.it)
   * René Bañares-Alcantara, School of Chemical Engineering, University
of
     Edinburgh, Scotland, UK (rene at chemeng.ed.ac.uk)
   * L. Karl Branting, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Wyoming,

     USA (karl at uwyo.edu)
     on sabbatical at, Centre for Learning Systems and Applications,
     University of Kaiserslautern, Germany
   * Ulises Cortée, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
University
     of Catalonia, Catalonia, Spain (ia at lsi.upc.es)
   * Tony Jakeman, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies,
     Australian National University, Australia (tony at cres.anu.edu.au)
   * Javier Lafuente, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Autonomous
University
     of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain (lafuente at uab-eq.uab.es)
   * Manel Poch, Laboratory of Chemical and Environmental Engineering,
     University of Girona, Catalonia, Spain (mpoch at lequia1.udg.es)
   * Yoram Reich, Dept. of Solid Mechanics, Materials and Structures,
Tel
     Aviv University, Israel (yoram at eng.tau.ac.il)
   * Antonio Sanchez-Aguilar, University of Las Américas, México
     (asanchez at udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx)
   * Miquel Sanchez-Marre, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
     University of Catalonia, Catalonia, Spain (miquel at lsi.upc.es)
   * Jean Philippe Steyer, Laboratory of Environmental Biotechnology
(LBE),
     INRA Narbonne, France (steyer at ensam.inra.fr)
   * Peter Struss, Dept. of Computer Science, Technical University of
     Munich, Germany (struss at in.tum.de)

Address for Submissions and Further Information

Proposals have to be submitted electronically (Word for Windows orUnix
compatible postscript) to both co-chairs Ulises Cortes and Miquel
Sanchez-Marre, at the following address:

Ulises Cortes / Miquel Sanchez-Marre
Artificial Intelligence section
Dept. of Software
Technical University of Catalonia
Campus Nord - Edifici C5
Jordi Girona 1-3
E-08034 Barcelona
Catalonia, Spain
Voice: + 34 93 401 70 16 / + 34 93 401 73 34
Fax: + 34 93 401 70 14
e-mail: ia at lsi.upc.es, miquel at lsi.upc.es

Further information on AAAI 1999 is available at the AAAI 1999 home
page.

The URL of this Workshop home page is
http://www.lsi.upc.es/~webia/besai/edssai99.html

O-O-O  Dr. Miquel Sanchez-Marre
|\ /|  Seccio d'Intel.ligencia Artificial
O-O-O  Dept. de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informatics
|   |  Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC)
O-O-O  Edifici C5-Campus Nord                Ph: + 34-93 401 73 34
       Jordi Girona 1-3                     Fax: + 34-93 401 70 14
U P C  08034 Barcelona                           miquel at lsi.upc.es
       Catalonia, Spain             http://www.lsi.upc.es/~miquel/