Fwd: 1998 was Warmest Year of Millenium

HULTGREN arne at snowcrest.net
Mon Mar 8 00:18:10 EST 1999

<dwheeler at teleport.com> wrote in message news:7brqlc$7eb$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com...
>In article <36E02288.4AB35C56 at forestmeister.com>,
>  Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
>> Don Staples wrote:
>> >
>> > Interesting article on Discovery Channel, I think this past week end,
>> > about ice cores from the Artic being studied for reference to warming,
>> > on a global basis.  The jist of it was that there has been global
>> > warming for the past 30,000 years, part of an interglaciation period.
>> > They then went into sudden changes in weather can lead to climatic
>> > change.  At least one scenario has it that a warming trend in weather
>> > can lead to a cooling snap in climate.  Tentative data indicated that
>> > the change could come in a matter of decades, or less, and quickly
>> > change the climate on a global basis.
>> >
>> > Not quite a puff piece on the tv, but making some points that perhaps
>> > the global warming is more of a cycle, and less of a catastrophy.
>> > Unless your human and want to worry about what cannot be changed.
>> > --
>>
>> Yes, even environmentalists know that there are many cycles in the
>> weather at many levels of time resolution. So, just because the climate
>> may warm on it's own justifies our screwing with the environment,
>> willy-nilly and irresponsibly? It is a fact that CO2 is a contributor to
>> global warming and that we are pumping it into the air everyday. What we
>> don't know is just how bad this situation will get due to human causes.
>>
>> No, we aren't going to stop modern civilization over this issue, but
>> nobody has said we should. The reformers are just trying to slow down
>> the increase of CO2 until the issue is better understood.
>>
>There is, of course, a method to decrease the amount of CO2 in the air. Plant
>more fast-growing trees!
>
>And then vary the types and the products obtained from trees to ensure their
>long-term survival.
(snip)
They're already growing fast.....read on:
N. America Soaking Up Carbon From Air

By Randolph E. Schmid

Associated Press Writer

Friday, October 16, 1998; 1:52 a.m. EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Somehow, North America seems to be soaking up
 a lot of the carbon scientists had expected to find in the atmosphere.
Carbon dioxide in the air has been increasing, but not as rapidly as
expected by researchers studying the threat of global warming. So they
have been trying to figure out where the excess was going.

A report in today's edition of the journal Science concludes that much of
this missing carbon is being absorbed in North America -- possibly by
regrowth over abandoned farms and previously logged forests.
The absorption could total between 1.2 billion and 2.2 billion tons
annually, a ``substantial portion'' of the carbon being added to the
atmosphere, according to the government and academic researchers.
Even before it was published, however, the paper was generating
controversy.

``I don't believe this result,'' said David Schimel, an ecologist at the
National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. Other
studies indicate the amount of carbon taken up by North America can be
no more than 700 million tons, he said.
{poster comment: 'Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up." }

Environmentalists worry that groups opposed to the 1997 Kyoto climate
treaty will use the findings to argue that the United States does not need to
reduce its emissions of so-called greenhouse gases.
``There is a huge concern that this result will be misinterpreted,'' Schimel
said in a telephone interview.
Pieter Tans, one of the scientists who worked on the paper, admitted that
the ``uncertainties are still large.''
``This is not ironclad. We say in the paper the evidence is still somewhat
tentative,'' said Tans, an atmospheric chemist at the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration's Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics
Laboratory in Boulder.
But, he said, ``we do think that we have used good models. ... We think
we've used data in a proper way. ... We've tried to look at all the
uncertainties and this is what we get.''
Carbon dioxide released by burning fossil fuels such as coal and oil has
been increasing in the atmosphere. That has led to concerns that it might
cause global warning by trapping heat from the sun, somewhat like the
glass of a greenhouse.
The analysis measured carbon dioxide levels around the world and
concludes that whatever is absorbing it is located in the temperate region
of the Northern Hemisphere, roughly between 25 degrees and 51 degrees
north latitude.
Comparing carbon dioxide levels in America, Europe and Asia led the
scientists to believe that the major absorption is occurring in North
America. Regrowth on farmland and previously cut forests is a strong
possibility, because growing plants absorb carbon dioxide, using the
carbon for growth and releasing oxygen into the air.
The analysis looked at carbon dioxide levels between 1988 and 1992
measured at 63 atmospheric sampling stations.
``The current uptake of carbon by terrestrial ecosystems is helping to slow
down the rise of CO2 in the atmosphere, but we need to know why it is
happening. Only then may we be able to project for how long into the
future this process may continue,'' Tans said.
Other co-authors of the paper were Jerry Mahlman, Song-Miao Fan,
Emanuel Gloor, Stephen Pacala and Jorge Sarmiento of Princeton
University and Taro Takahaski of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty
Earth Observatory.
©