Preventing frozen in plants tissue

Noe RS noerods at usa.net
Mon Mar 8 09:15:28 EST 1999

Hello ¡

I have interest about injury in frozen plants tissue cause
by the cold
weather, and I want to do some questions about this, I have
found some
studies of Hincha, D.K. ,   Universitat Wurzburg, Wurzburg,
F.R.G. The
article says:  " The disaccharides sucrose and trehalose
were compared
in regard to their ability to protect isolated spinach
chloroplast
membranes against rupture during a freeze-thaw cycle.
Thylakoids frozen
and thawed in the presence of 2.5 mM   MgCl2 or NaCl or in
an artificial
chloroplast stroma medium suffer osmotic rupture as
indicated by the
release of the    soluble electron transport protein
plastocyanin from
the intrathylakoid spaces. Low concentrations of trehalose
(up to 2
mM) provide much more efficient cryoprotection against
thylakoid
membrane rupture than sucrose at the same  concentrations.
Protection by
trehalose can be attributed to a reduction in the solute
permeability of
the membranes   which reduces solute influx during freezing
and
therefore osmotic swelling and rupture during thawing"

There are some formulas about the use of sucrose and
glucose, for
prevent the freeze damage to plants like potato, lettuce,
celery, carrot
and other verdures and fruits like lemon, orange.

My questions are :

This or similar products (containing sucrose , or maybe
with trehalose) are being used in commercial scale in your
country to prevent this freeze damage from the cold
weather ?

Have this products bad effects in the crops ? are they
accepted commonly by farmer ?

Or may be you can to suggest me some scientist or engineer
who have
worked directly with this case ?

I thank any advice of you  ¡¡¡
Noe             (Chemical Engineer)

PLEASE MAKE A REPLY TO "SENDER AND TO GROUP" using the
appropriate button in your Newgroup´s software to receive a
copy in my email too.   noerods at usa.net