Finally, a good experience with timber sale

DVK dvank at michweb.net
Tue Mar 9 22:52:29 EST 1999

Oh boy.  I'll reserve most of my thoughts for the consultants here that are
sure to post.   One question:  Did you have a forester establish your timber
basis when you came into the property -- or at least before you sold
timber?  Doing so would have prevented Uncle Sam from taxing your timber
revenue until you've profitted above and beyond what the trees were worth
when you received the land (and other related timber activity costs such as
land surveying, etc.).  Similar to capital gains on stocks, you need only
pay taxes on the "capital gains" of your timber investment.  Its still not
too late to salvage some of this, but acquire a forester that is working for
YOU first and foremost, not the timber buyer.

I am glad, however that you like the results, but again looks can be
deceiving -- even high grades can initially look "pretty".

Guys??? -guys being a unisexual term.

Regards.