Environmentalists Call for Fair Grazing Fees

Christopher Erickson chrerick at email.msn.com
Sun Mar 14 15:02:30 EST 1999

The real problem is not the rate at which rate of inflation should prices be
adjusted -- only burocrates worry about such things.

The fact is that our management of public lands is a crazy system which only
a soviet appratik could love. The fact is that some of our largest
corporations receive subsidies from the Federal government, driving down the
price received by small business people (i.e., small timber lot owners and
operators). This underpricing of resources results in over utilization.

The real solution to the problem is to privatize public grazing lands and
national forest.

Don't believe me. Then do the following thought experiment: Suppose the
stump price of timber was rised, say 10 percent. Would large timber
companies complain: Yes. Would they lobby for privatization of national
forests: No, because they know that a 10 percent increase in stump prices
would still represent a subsidy.

Keep increasing the price of stumpage by small increments. When you hit the
price at which Timber companies start lobbying for privatization and that
would be the true unsubsidized price.