Environmentalists Call for Fair Grazing Fees

Peter G Harrison pgharr at PEG.APC.ORG
Mon Mar 15 20:34:46 EST 1999

This assumes that you can produce vegetable protein from the actual piece of
land.  In many areas it is not feasible - practical and technical and
economic so grazing is still a sound land use policy for many areas.

Yes, the land condition must be maintained.

This sounds like a lot of pretty ignorant foresters sounding off about a
subject of which they seem to know little.  Some sound reasoned debate by a
few range management professionals may be more illuminating.

There is probably no one answer - and yes recreation is damaging the
rangeland / forest / beach etc in many places - if over used.  But how do
you stop / restrict the damage to low limits consistent with access ?  It is
always a balancing act.

Security of access for ranchers / graziers to an area where they have a long
term interest in preserving the range quality may [ not always] help.  There
are also considerations of issues such as fire management, where grazing for
example may be a very desirable management practice.