Environmentalists Call for Fair Grazing Fees

TREES4WOOD trees4wood at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 19:11:35 EST 1999

>There is no need to have cattle on public land,

I believe that cattle on public lands are there to perform a management
function.  CAttle grazing is often used to rejuvenate grasses or prevent
stagnation.  The national forest service is there to manage the national
forests in the nation's interest and the U.S. government (not the forest
service) has decided that grazing should occur on USFS lands.

>much
>if not most of the public doesn't want it. That's a sufficiently fine
>reason.

The same thing can be said about fire in national forests and the public does
not like those.  Look at the condition that fire exclusion has left our
national forests in.  The general public has less idea about Natural resource
management than military strategies and should have minimal input on direct
management of specific alotments.