Environmentalists Call for Fair Grazing Fees

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Mar 16 22:37:15 EST 1999

In article <36ECE72B.165E9FCD at forestmeister.com>,
redoak at forestmeister.com writes:

> > You easterners always were suckers for a dime novel.

> Except it's true.

ROTFL.

> Too bad. Did you worry so much as millions of workers lost their jobs
> when America's heavy industry shut down? Are those ranchers better
> people than those auto and steel workers?

Did I go to Detroit to try to get factories shut down?

> Absentee landowners? Sounds like most of the forest owners around here.
> But that doesn't give me the right to exploit their land without their
> permission. I don't have the political power of those ranchers. And when
> I push for Licensed Foresters managing all the timber sales around here,
> I'm constantly reminded that I can't have it that way because of
> "landowner rights". Well, I'm a part owner of the National Forests too.
> And if I and tens of millions of other America's citizens want to reduce
> grazing on national land, then too bad for the ranchers. The history of
> ranching on public land is not a good one. It may be time to end it,
> except for the excessive political power they hold because their state's
> Senators have so much power on those select committees.

That's why we have a Senate, bub.  Your populist House of Representatives
has a leash from sparsely populated states.  It is one of the things that
protects the republic from the tyrrany of the majority.

And of course, the supposed abuses seem to magically disappear when
somebody actually goes to look at the situation.  We had the House
Agriculture Committee convene in Bend last session, and the good reps
from Massachewsetts got to go out and kick the sod.  They went home with
a different attitude.

> And of course, you're a landowner in Oregon. What if I said that I
> insist on ranching YOUR land? And that my ranching would be good for the
> local economy. I'm sure you'd be standing at your gate with a shotgun if
> I brought my sheep over to eat up your property.

That's your opinion, not your decision.  I own federal lands just as much
as you do.  I can tell you don't like the political process, but that's
life, bub.  Try living in a region where 2/3 of the land and resources
are owned by the feds sometime.  Your attitude might change.

-- Larry